Click on a link to view a larger image
- The breakwater in the 1920sAlfred Basin was officially opened by His Royal Highness Prince Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh, in July 1870 after 10 years of construction work.
- Rogge Bay in the 20th centuryRogge Bay used to be the landing place of generations of fishermen’s boats, where for more than 200 years fishermen went out at dawn and returned in the late afternoon with their silvery bounty. On days off, the boats rested in a neat crescent, bows pointing seawards.
- The Promenade Pier, 1938Promenade Pier at the bottom of Adderley Street extended 304.8 meters (1 000 feet) into the sea, and had an amphitheater seating 2 000 people. In 1914 the City Orchestra under Theo Wendt as conductor was formed, and regular Sunday night concerts were held there.
- Another view of the Promenade Pier, 1913The Promenade Pier connected Capetonians with the sea and was one of the social hubs of 19th and 20th century Cape Town.
- Victoria Basin, 1920Victoria Basin was completed 35 years after the Alfred Basin and served as the gateway to Southern Africa until the mid-1930s.
- Alfred Basin, turn of the 19th centuryAfter serious winter storms wrecked over 30 vessels, Lloyd's of London refused to cover ships wintering in Table Bay.
- A view on the harbour area in 1938Before 1914 South Africa depended mainly upon overseas countries for most of the manufactured articles in daily use.
- Duncan Dock, 1939In May 1938 work on Duncan Dock commenced. It provided an extra water area of 118 hectares, 12 meters deep and 10 quays to the total length of 1 830 meters.
- Remnants of the breakwater scaffoldingDuring the mid 19th century, harbour improvements were urgently needed - the port in Table Bay possessed only four jetties and was totally inadequate.
- Union-Castle makes its presence felt, 1905The SS Raglan Castle (1897-1905) is seen here tied alongside the Cut, with the Union-Castle passenger tender (1892-1913) behind.